We can all agree that technology is rapidly changing as we speak. Some hardware and software are specifically perfect for various industries. If we look into the past, we can say that first computerwas not for the general population, but as the addition for various industries.
In the last thirty years, it entered general population,and we forgot that significant part of hardware and software is only meant for industrial purposes. Today, we want to present you the idea of RSLogix 5000 programming and why choosing Allen Bradley PLC is a great solution for your future.
Let’s see what PLC is about:
How does a PLC work?
A PLC is an industrial computer that uses information from input devices and connected sensors to process data and to trigger different parameters that will help you create an audit.
Of course, everything depends on inputs and outputs, but you will have the ability to record and monitor run-time data as well as operating temperature, machine productivity, generate alarms in case of malfunctions and to automatically start and stop different processes.
You don’t have to worry, because they are robust, sturdy and quite flexible to adapt to almost any environment and application. Before we continue, it is essential to mention key features of PLC so that you can compare them with microcontrollers, industrial PCs,and other control hardware:
PLC contains CPU that can process and store program data as well as output and input modules that will help you connect it to the entire machine.
These modules are essential because they start by sending information to the CPU, which will cause the trigger of a specific result. Input/Output can be digital or analog.
Input devices are:
Output devices are:
You will have the ability to match and mix input/output devices so that you can enjoy in an appropriate configuration for the specific application you want to deal with.
For more information on the industrial control system, you can check by clicking here.
Apart from I/O devices, PLC systems can easily connect and communicate with other systems. For example, some people use all data that PLC recorded previous and to audit it by sending it to SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) system, that will monitor connected devices.
At the same time, you will gain various communication protocols and ports that will ensure that communication goes flawlessly without any additional problem.
The best thing about PLC is the possibility to interact with it in real time by using Human Machine Interface or HMI. This particular operator interface will provide you simple text-readout, displays,and keypad.
On the other hand, high-end models have a largetouchscreen, which is similar to electronics for the general population. This way, you will be able to input information and review everything in real time.
You should have in mind that advancement in technology brought integration of high-end PLC, which means that they can communicate via browser, cloud data via MQTT and connect to databases by using SQL.
You can also find all-in-one PLC that integrates controller as well as HMI panel so that you can enjoy in automation solution. Finally, you can rest assure and avoid establishing PLC to panel communication.
At the same time, it is useless to connect different components that come in a separate software environment, because when you choose all-in-one PLC, you will reduce wiring, save time and cut costs of buying various devices.
How To Program a PLC?
You should have in mind that in 100% cases, PLC program comes from the standard computer,and later you download it to the controller. Most programming software is great solutions because you will be able to choose different languages such as Ladder Logic.
- Ladder Logic – This traditional programming language uses rungs and circuit diagrams that you read from left to right. Each rung represents an action that starts with input and results in the output. Due to visual nature, Ladder Logic is quite straightforward and simple to program. Originally, a written method will help you document the construction and design of relay tracks. However, it evolved into programminglanguage, which is an essential part of PLCs in industrial control applications.
- Function Block Diagram (FBD) – This is the graphical language used in PLC programs specifically for depicting data flows and signals through input blocks. The main function is to enter function block and create output value. Functional blocks have similar functions as logic gates, or you can set them yourself to obtain the value of different inputs.
- Statement List – This is one of the most convenient and flexible forms of programming especially for experienced users, but it is not as simple.
More information on ladder logic, you can check by visiting this particular website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_logic
Benefits of Using PLC
- Flexibility – The greatest thing that PLC will offer your industry is a possibility to run a wide array of machines on a single PLC. It is an essential and straightforward way of investing in your manufacturing
- Correcting Errors – The main problem back in the day was that when you wanted to alternate program, you would have to spare an all day long for rewiring devices and panels. This is not the case anymore, especially if you have PLC because it has the possibility to change the sequence or circuit design with a simple typing. Correcting errors finally won’t mean losing significant revenue.
- Space Efficient – The future brought interesting things,and the best one yet is the possibility to enjoy in compact hardware that can withstand a significant amount of memory. In the past, industrial computers were big as a whole room, but now you will enjoy in space-efficient design that can generate more contacts, timers, coils, counters, sequencers and so on.
- Cost Efficiency – You can find a wide array of PLCs on the market that varies between a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. But when you purchase PLC, you will get peace of mind and possibility to enjoy all the way.